12.31.2011

Leaving it all behind: Making time for nature study

Piles of laundry and dirty dishes are like anchors that keep me inside when the weather is beautiful and my children are calling me to join them outside. I find Barb's Outdoor Hour Challenges truly challenging because I can't seem to find time to get outdoors with all the housework that remains unfinished.

I would like to take on a new challenge in 2012: to recognize that the housework will always be there but my children will not. It helps to also remember that being outdoors in nearly all weather conditions present in a temperate climate for just an hour is a boost to our health. As if I need more excuses to get outside for a little bit every day, my kids will not forget the efforts that I make to show that they are more important than the house. They make the house a home and I am happy to find ways to show it.

I have always enjoyed reading the Outdoor Hour Challenges and I think they are ideal for our family. Beginners are to start with the first five challenges and then visit the web site to join in the current challenge. I purchased the ebook with the first ten challenges to feel like I "own" this project. The book was only $8.95, a modest investment in what I hope will be a life changing activity.

Next, I created a section in our family planner for nature study. This is not just another subject in school. This is something that I hope will enrich relationships and strengthen our bodies.

Finally, I have to wait until Tuesday when we have time to start. This is a holiday weekend and we are far busier than I expected. The weather will be quite cold on Tuesday which will test my committment to this challenge :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment