12.16.2011

Potty Training: Take Three

I thought that potty training would be a breeze for child number 3. I have learned to be more relaxed and listen to the child's cues for readiness, I have a stash of cloth training pants including some with side snaps for really messy accidents, and I have learned to carry a clean change of clothes for Baby and me.

Our Little Potty
But like so many other things in life, this isn't about me. None of my boys have taken instantly to using the potty. It is an idea that grows with them over the course of several months. Baby Boy took the first step today. He took off a wet diaper and said, "Yuck." Later, he took it off again and sat on the little potty. I gave him a juice box to drink while we waited together for something, anything, to happen. It did! He pee-peed in the potty for the very first time. But he didn't seem to notice. 

Seeming to enjoy the fresh air, he went diaperless for a while and within 30 minutes of drinking the juice box, he peed on the floor, again not noticing what was happening. So, I diapered him, put on a onesie and a pair of snug pants for nap time. We certainly don't want him experimenting with potty time unsupervised.

A few months ago I decided not to introduce potty learning until the spring when he would be older and could spend more time outside (keeps the house cleaner during the early stages of the process). Still, if he is showing real interest it is hard not to pass up a teachable moment. For now, I'll watch and wait with an encouraging smile on my face and a bottle of multi-surface cleaner in my hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment